Today is a good day! The sun is shining, the weather is warm, and it's a great day to learn! This is why i'm excited to tell you all about the history of sewing! Some of us know how to sew, but we don't really know the beautiful history behind the craft. Since I am history lover, I wanted to share all the things I've learned with you. I'm always questioning things and if I don't know something in detail, I'm the kind of girl that does research just to make sure I know.
I personally find sewing very interesting. What has impressed me the most is that it's something that has existed since the Paleolithic Era. It's incredible how intelligent and crafty humans were since the beginning of time. While I was reading about the history of sewing, I found out there was a time where Barthelemy Thimonnier a french tailor opened the first machine-based clothing manufacturing company in the world. But this factory was burned down by its employees because they feared to lose their jobs. What caught my attention is that in the end these machines had to be operated by someone, so basically their job actually became easier and more efficient. Nowadays, sewing machines won't make your project automatically, yet they have a few features that can make you work faster. For example custom stitches, a variety of foots, digital displays, etc.
Here are some other facts that I found interesting about the history of sewing. The history of sewing is lengthy and definitely worth reading about, but for now here is a glimpse. ;)
Sewing is an art and it's definitely great to be surrounded by wonderful makers like yourselves!
I hope you enjoyed the history of sewing!
PS: If you are interested in reading about the history of sewing, here are the sources I used!
- Anawalt, Patricia Rieff (2007).The Worldwide History of Dress. Thames & Hudson. ISBN 978-0-500-51363-7.
- Barber, Elizabeth Wayland (1994).Women's Work:The First 20,000 Years. W. W. Norton.
- Huxley, Susan (1999).Sewing Secrets from the Fashion Industry: Proven Methods to Help You Sew Like the Pros. New York: Rodale Publishing. ISBN 978-0-87596-980-0.
- Meyrich, Elisaa (2006).RIP IT!: How to Deconstruct and Reconstruct the Clothes of Your Dreams. New York: Fireside. ISBN 978-0-7432-6899-8.
- Meyrich, Elissa (2002).Sew Fast Sew Easy: All You Need to Know When You Start to Sew. New York: St. Martin's Griffin. ISBN 0-312-26909-9.
- Reader's Digest (1976).Complete Guide to Sewing. The Reader's Digest Association, Inc. ISBN 0-89577-026-1.
- Picken, Mary Brooks(1957). The Fashion Dictionary. Funk and Wagnalls.
- Singer: The New Sewing Essentialsby The Editors of Creative Publishing International ISBN 0-86573-308-2
- "Origin of Sewing – Sewing History | Sewing Mantra." N.p., n.d. Web. 11 July 2016.
- "Who Invented Sewing?" Clothing History. N.p., 2016. Web. 11 July 2016.
- "The Middle Ages -- Clothing." The Middle Ages -- Clothing. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 July 2016.