Of course we love patchwork. Who doesn't (in our world of fabric at least)? I'd say patchwork is why we do what we do. The beautiful product of hours and hours of patience and detail. The design. That vision of a beautiful quilt in our head that motivates us to keep going... one more stitch, one more seam to press. I know a lot of us find it therapeutic. The need to be meticulous with our movements could be calming.
Often times patchwork seems complicated; intimidating. There are many new quilters that can feel scared at the amount of cutting and piecing in a quilt pattern, and the need for precise 1/4" seam allowances, which raises simultaneously with the number of seams (the lack of it will mean a very warped quilt top - it's happened to most of us).
Which is why we wanted to bring you this tutorial for the Dumat Quilt, to say "hey, patchwork can be simple and still be beautiful" and "it's ok to want to do something seemingly easy." Ultimately it's about creating something you're in love with.
Here is what you will need:
Finished size:75" x 50"
-IMP-40451: 3/8 yd
-IMP-20453: 3/8 yd
-IMP-10451: 5/8 yd
-IMP-30452: 1 3/8 yd
-IMP-10452: 7/8 yd
-IMP-30453: 3/4 yd
-IMP-20454: 5/8 yd
-IMP-10453: 5/8 yd
-IMP-40454: 5/8 yd
-IMP-20450: 5/8 yd
-IMP-10450: 3/4 yd
- One (1) 10” x 19½” strip of Buttonballs Laguna (Imprint collection)
- One (1) 10” x WOF strip of Morse Dot Sun (Imprint collection)
- Two (2) 10” x WOF strips of Buttonballs Gloss (Imprint collection)
- Five (5) 3¼” x WOF strips of Maze Clarity (Imprint collection)
- Two (2) 10” x WOF strips of Maze Clarity (Imprint collection)
- Two (1) 10” x 15 strip of Maze Clarity (Imprint collection)
- Two (2) 10” x WOF strips of Maze Alley (Imprint collection)
- One (1) 10” x 25” strip of Maze Alley (Imprint Collection)
- Two (2) 11” x WOF strips of Morse Dot Blu (Imprint collection)
- One (1) 10” x WOF strip of Crossthread Sheen (Imprint collection)
- One (1) 10” x WOF strip of Morse Dot Pink (Imprint collection)
- One (1) 10” x WOF strip of Crossthread Nox (Imprint collection)
- One (1) 10” x WOF strip of Add Shade (Imprint collection)
- Six (6) 3 ¼” x WOF Strips of Add Strawberry (Imprint collection)
- One (1) 3 ¼” x 26” Strip of Add Strawberry (Imprint collection)
- One (1) 3 ¼” x 9” Strip of Add Strawberry (Imprint collection)
There is a specific measurement for every strip of this quilt top.
Following the diagram below for strip measurements attach them together to make longer strips as specified and trim them until you get the exact measurement needed (not all of them will need and attachment).
For this set you will need the following strips:
- Button Balls Laguna 10 x 19 1/2”
- Morse Dot Sun 10” x WOF”
- Button Balls Gloss (1) 10”x 71 1/2”
- Maze Clarity 10” x 93 1/2”
- Maze Alley 10” x 107 1/2”
- Add Strawberry 3 1/4” x 26”, 3 1/4” x 50 1/2”, 3 1/4” x 75”, 3 1/4” x 105 1/2”
Attach them together always alternating a strip from the Add Strawberry fabric in between the others.
Determine the strips order and align all of them at the center.
Attach the second set with the remaining strip pieces, leave the two (2) 11” x WOF strips of Morse Dot Blu to the beginning and end of the second set and this time use the 3¼” x WOF strips of Maze Clarity to alternate in between strips.
Leave the first set in a horizontal order and the second one turn it over to a vertical order so that they are perpendicular to each other.
Align the center of the first set to the center of the 3¼” strip from Maze Clarity that is positioned in between the Crossthread Sheen and Morse Dot Pink strips from the second set of strips. Sew it together.
Turn the whole piece 45° and trim the edges making a 50” x 75” rectangle and woo-la!* You’re done with the quilt top! (hint: save those more-than-enough scraps for another project)
Quilt and bind as you wish (we used the Morse Dot Pink fabric for our binding).
*woo-la: a mix between woo-hoo and voila said as a celebration when a project is finished.