Happy Monday everyone! It's Maureen here again from Maureen Cracknell Handmade visiting with my newest Fat Quarter Gang Project! This time I'm sharing a "make it your own" tutorial for an Urban Mod Shower Curtain, using a store-bought white curtain and giving it some Urban Mod style with some fun patchwork and raw-edge applique!
Now let's get started!!
- 12 - fat quarters prints of Art Gallery Fabrics Urban Mod Collection
- a white cotton standard shower curtain measuring 72"x72"
- coordinating thread
- sewing pins
- rotary cutter/mat/ruler
- cardboard or card stock for making the triangle template, marker, scissors
Cutting : :
1. Using all twelve prints, plan out the fabric order for the patchwork panel 2. Using a cutting mat, ruler, and rotary cutter, cut a strip measuring 7"x18" from each 3. Then cut a 7" square piece for that strip, keeping the fabric order for the patchwork panel. Repeat with all twelve Urban Mod prints.
Piecing the Fabrics : :
4. With right sides facing, match up the 7" fabric squares, pin, and sew together at one side with 1/2" seam allowance, keeping that patchwork order 5. Repeat with all twelve prints 6. when finished piecing, press all seams open
Hemming the Patchwork Panel : :
7. To hem the short end of the panel, fold edge in 1/4", press, fold 1/4" again, press, pin, and sew along the inner edge of that fold. Repeat for both short ends of the panel.
8. To hem the long sides of the panel, fold in 1/2", press, pin, and sew along the inner edge. Repeat for both long sides of the panel.
Attaching the Patchwork Panel : :
9. Pin the hemmed patchwork panel to the shower curtain. I was happy adding mine 8" from the top of the curtain, however you can choose to adjust that to your own preference
10. Staying very close to the outer edge of the panel, sew all the way around, back-stitching when you begin and end. You can see in pic 2 the inner stitch line from the hemming of the panel and this outer stitch line
Adding the Raw Edge Applique : :
This is an optional little extra something!
11. From the fabrics leftover from cutting your 7" squares, cut 2 - 2 1/4"x7" pieces of each of the twelve fabrics 12. To make the diamond template for your applique, draw a 3" line onto the cardboard, in the center of that line draw a 2" line, and connect at all points to make the diamond. Cut this out.
13. Use the template to cut two diamonds from each of the two 2 1/4"x7" pieces of fabric, creating four diamonds from each of the twelve prints
14. Pin two diamond shapes in a contrasting print to each of the patchwork squares that make up panel 15. attach these by sewing a straight line down the center, keeping one long stitch across of the panel, back-stitching at the beginning and end 15. In each square of the panel add the remaining two diamond shapes by sewing down through the center, again back-stitching at the beginning and the end
Voila! Your "make it your own" Urban Mod Shower Curtain is complete!!
I hope you enjoy this new tutorial!! If you do give this project a go, please be sure to join and add them to the Fat Quarter Gang Flickr Group! Feel free to share on my Facebook page or in my Maureen Cracknell Handmade Flickr group, as well!
As always to be eligible to win you must follow AGF on your fav social media platform (Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter)and Subscribe to our blog to stay up to date on all things AGF & the Fat Quarter Gang!
And, don't forget to stop by my blog today for an Urban Mod Giveaway!!!